19 August 2008

Saddle up, ladies!

Yesterday on Curbed LA there was a question from a (probably?) female reader who asked how to best begin bike commuting in LA. As is usually the case on Curbed, the comments ranged from genuinely helpful to sincerely douchey, but I decided to bring it up since we've covered a lot of these same topics on this blog before. That said, I came across the booth for C.I.C.L.E., or Cyclists Inviting Change through Live Exchange, at Sustainable LA on Sunday and I wanted to make everyone aware of their presence in the community. C.I.C.L.E. was founded by women and is more than just an exceptionally worked-out acronym: they are a non-profit that offers workshops for many different levels of riders, including beginners, and they focus on educating the community about the benefits of taking up cycling. They operate mostly out of a community center but are hoping to open their own facility in the future and will be fund raising for that soon. I encourage anyone with questions similar to that of the Curbed reader to check out C.I.C.L.E. and try to take one of their workshops, which are very reasonably priced (~$15).

It's important to support fledging organizations in our community that approach the issue of alternative transportation in a helpful and informative way!

No comments: