03 September 2008

Vote "yes" for public transportation

I can't believe it's September already! We've got some important things to talk about...

It would be irresponsible of me to write a blog about living in a place without a car if I didn't talk about public transportation. And it would be irresponsible of me to talk about public transportation without encouraging you to support it. Today I'm going to discuss some of the transportation issues that voters must decide on this November.

First we have Measure R. Measure R is VERY IMPORTANT to the future of Los Angeles as a city of the 21st century. Basically it's a half-cent sales tax increase which will "fund and expedite rail and traffic issues, including the Subway to the Sea AND Airport, and freeway improvements throughout LA County." Even drivers can get behind that!

There is also the issue of California Prop 1A, aka the "Bullet Train", which is a statewide bond issue and won't raise taxes. Can you imagine getting from Los Angeles to San Francisco faster, safer and cheaper than by plane? I know I can ... I mean, I'm not fond of planes to begin with but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that plane travel is getting to be more expensive and more of a hassle than ever before.

So make sure to vote for public transportation for Los Angeles in November!


*Thanks to Davide for pointing these out to me!*

1 comment:

Browne Molyneux said...

As painful as it is, we must get public transit built in LA county. Whether it be rails or busses, hopefully both and the bullet train, that would be fab. I of course want the people building it to be watched and people to be critical observers, but we can't let the opportunity to turn the corner of the abysmal state of public transit in LA.

It's like we're at that point of the freeway if you don't get off at a certain point on PCH you end up in Ventura, well we're sort of at that point right now in public transit.