01 December 2008

Discriminating against bikers ... in the drive-thru

I have long wondered what would happen if I got a hankering for a "fourth meal" at Taco Bell late one night, but needed to take my bike because, well, I don't have a car. I never tried it because I knew what would happen... I've heard the stories and the urban legends, I'm sure you have too. They won't serve you. At one time I heard that serving a person who was not in a car was deemed "a security risk", which if you think about it, is probably the dumbest reasoning possible, because if someone really wanted to rob a place, they could unbuckle their seatbelt, jump out, and/or turn the car around and ram it through the flimsy front wall of the place. But I digress.

Recently a young lad in the Northwest tried to test this theory, on a bike no less, and not only was he turned away, he was arrested. Observe:
The employee said her manager had told her not to serve people on bicycles, because of the safety hazard. She explained the policy to the bicyclist, but he refused to leave and told her, "Go ahead and call the police. I'm making a stand."
Good for him! I mean, what's the big deal, anyway? It's a guy on a bike. Not a guy on a tank or a mobile missile launcher, for crying out loud! If anyone could explain this mystery to me I would appreciate it because clearly I'm missing something, and like the dude in the article said, we all have "a right to chicken strips."

6 comments:

Will Campbell... said...

Between a year or two ago there was a "Donut Ride" in which a group of cyclists started near LAX around 11 p.m. and ventured all the way deep into the San Gabriel Valley, with planned stops throughout the night at various donut shops along the way.

One of the places was the Krispy Kreme in the Crenshaw District. When the group arrived they found only the drive-through open and so they tried to place their orders there but were adamantly refused service because the worker said it was for cars only.

Sarah C said...

I successfully walked through a drive thru in Tucson, Az. It was right before they closed and I had my friends get out of the car we were driving and stand as if we were in a car and make car noises as we passed through. It may have been that the employee didn't care, or that the guy thought one of use was cute. We did have to beg.

A said...

Oh yes, I've experienced. I think they mean it's a safety hazard to the pedestiran/bicyclist -- as if being in the drive thru without a car is like being on the freeway on a mo-ped. So not even close. Definitely discriminatory.

Furbrats said...

I did this recently. I pulled up to the order box and was ignored. I could see people in the window box watching me. There weren't any cars it was just me on my bike. So I pedaled up to the window and was told they wouldn't serve me. I did notice there weren't any "no bikes" signs on the drive thru lane so I said "Do you really want to do that?" They took my order and I left. Sometimes if pushed a little people will relent, but this should be a grassroots movement to get companies to serve us.

wh1te_c@stle said...

also an issue in brooklyn. one solution is to hail a cab...

Anonymous said...

Well at one point, me and my friend were hungry at like 2 AM. We decided to go to Del Taco, but they close the inside part at like midnight or something, but they leave the drive thru open 24/7. So we decided to walk through. The lady was reluctant, but we still got our food. We tipped. :]

And this was in the Valley. :P